PROPERTY DEVELOPERS – MULTI-DWELLINGS (homeowners▷)
Complying development architectural services
When no council approval is needed
Your smaller project may not need council approval if it falls under ‘complying development‘ Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code State Government legislation.
For these projects, we work with you to prepare your designs to see if they may meet complying development criteria and prepare them for an approved certifier. Once they are signed off by the certifier they can be fast-tracked through the approval process without requiring council approval which significantly reduces costs and time.
Your low rise housing complying development project:
- must be in R1, R2, R3 and RU5 zones where it is already permitted under the council’s Local Environmental Plan (LEP).
- have a proposal that meets development standards in the Code and the Design Criteria in the supporting Low Rise Medium Density Design Guide for complying development.
Note, there are some Councils which have been given an extension of time before the Code can be used in their area. Check with the Planning & Environment – NSW Government for details.
This may apply to your project if you require a small development such as:
Benefits of a complying development design:
- faster because of reduced time through council
- significant cost reduction
- ability to move forward with confidence
- Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code
- State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (Codes SEPP)
COMPLYING DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
Bronte Beach duplex with spacious attics
These luxury duplex houses each has a lane-way access garage, separate from the main house, with an attic studio on top. Each of the main dwellings also has a large attic.
This was an unusual two stage approval process:
1. A Complying Development approval allowed the construction of the two semis with garage including its studio on top
2. A subsequent Development Application approved a large roof attic over each of the main dwellings.
Two new luxury duplex houses, each with: 2 levels plus an attic, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a garage with attic studio
Read Street, Bronte
Complying Development plus Development Application approval
Waverley Council jurisdiction
Photographer: Andrew Sheppard