Complying development architectural services
When no council approval is needed
Your smaller project may not need council approval if it falls under ‘complying development‘ State Government legislation.
For these projects, we work with you to prepare your designs to see if they may meet complying development criteria and prepare them for an approved certifier. Once they are signed off by the certifier they can be fast-tracked through the approval process without requiring council approval which significantly reduces costs and time.
This may apply to your project if you have a straight forward one or two storey home and you require a small development such as:
- a new dwelling
- an extension
- an alteration
- a granny flat
- a garage
- a carport
- a deck
- a swimming pool
Benefits of a complying development design:
- Faster because of reduced time through council
- Significant cost reduction
- Ability to move forward with confidence
- State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.
COMPLYING DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
Bronte Beach duplex with spacious attics
These duplex houses each has a lane-way access garage, separate from the main house, with an attic studio on top. Each of the main dwellings also has a large attic.
This was an unusual two stage approval process:
1. A Complying Development approval allowed the construction of the two semis with garage including its studio on top
2. A subsequent Development Application approved a large roof attic over each of the main dwellings.
Two new luxury duplex houses, each with: 2 levels plus an attic, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a garage with attic studio
Read Street, Bronte
Complying Development plus Development Application approval
Waverley Council jurisdiction
Photographer: Andrew Sheppard